Nano-Link offers educator workshops AT NO COST TO YOU at your location. These workshops can be customized to your needs and are designed to help you get the most out of the Nano-Infusion Modules.
What is a Nano-Infused Educator?
Middle school, high school and college educators with a passion for nanoscience. They have been trained by the experts at Nano-Link in the use of peer reviewed content covering a variety of nanoscience concepts. They understand how the Nano-Infusion Program module activities work and how to convey that to their students. They see the potential in nanoscience education and communicate that to their peers, administrators, and community.
How to get Nano-Infused
STEP 1 – Decide if you want to host a Nano-Infusion Program educators’ workshop.
STEP 2 – Fill out the Workshop Request Form.
STEP 3 – Make contact with your Nano-Infusion expert.
STEP 4 – Gather your educators, set up/reserve your location.
STEP 5 – Have fun experiencing the Nano-Infusion Program modules.
We provide: 6-8 hours of hands-on training, Nano-Link approved instructors, all the material and supplies needed for the activities.
You provide: Educators (10 minimum required, 25 maximum), the meeting location (typicallly a classroom).
STEP 6 – Stay in touch! Really, stay in touch because after NIP you have a legion of experts at your finger tips AND we need to hear from you, how you are doing, the impact you are making as a result of being Nano-Infused.
STEP 7 – Finally, to assist Nano-Link in continuing to conduct the Nano Infusion Workshop, as designed and intended by the National Science Foundation, Advanced Technological Education Directorate, all Nano Infusion Workshop participants are asked to submit survey responses about the workshop.
NIP provides hands-on experience with the NIP modules. NIP modules are designed to address specific nano topics and concepts. The activity gives real-time observation of the concept presented.
This Thin Films example demonstrates the concept of Size Dependent Properties. The activities in this NIP workshop explore various thicknesses of materials (including bubbles) that reflect light. Observations are made and differences are compared.
Typically the module’s hands-on activity is accompanied with a presentaion on concepts by a Nano-Link approved instructor from a variety of nanoscience areas. Besides providing directions and guidance during the hands-on activities, they also share the science behind the observations made and personal/professional experiences with the topic.
What You Get At NIP
One of the things you learn at NIP is that there are many ways to use a NIP module:
- Just for fun or introduction to the topic
- Problem or application based
- Critical thinking
AND there are multiple levels of depth that can be addressed with a NIP module:
- By grade level
- By content addressed
Workshop outcomes Include basic understanding of:
- Nano concepts taught in the NIP Modules
- Nanotechnology applications
- How to do the experiments
- How nano fits into your curriculum
The training can be done as a single day workshop or over a two-day period.
Plus, as part of NIP we provide a variety of tools to get you started and to support your learning:
- You can download a NIP BROCHURE. Use the brochure to communicate to your administrators in support of a NIP workshop for you and your colleagues and to just communicate what is going on in nano education. Most of all, share the brochure with a friend so they can get Nano-Infused too! Nano-LinkEducatorWorkshopFlyer.pdf:
- The MATRIX that explains how to address grade and content levels for a NIP module. This tool gives you a good start on customizing and using all of the NIP modules. GradeLevelMatrix.jpg
- INFOGRAPHS, like the one below, illustrating the process of working through one of the NIP modules. Display the infograph in the classroom as you work though a module, it’s a great reminder on the sequence of the concepts within the module.